Saturday, July 30, 2011

Day Five - Work Routine Begins

Today was the real start of the three-day schedule - morning, afternoon, then off the third day.  We started at 6:00 AM ahead of the breakfast rush.  Instead of working at the tills, my job was to supervise the frozen foods and keep them stocked.  A simple task yes, but the issue was finding the items to replace in the containers off the loading dock.  The previous team had received a shipment and packed the freezer.  By the end of the day, we had emptied the freezer to make room for the next delivery.

Working the grocery store is a great job for someone who is a bit compulsive about order and design.  I can straighten and organize all day long.

Off work at 1:00 AM gave me time to grab a late lunch, rest, and begin my own time.  The Swedish Cafe is becoming my favorite hangout.  It is close to my tent but also has tables to sit and relax.  Yesterday gave me one of those unique World Jamboree experiences while sitting there drinking a Coke.  A Lebanese duo went to the microphone and started entertaining the group with their renditions of Pink Floyd on guitar.  It would have been more entertaining if they weren't tone-deaf.

Also while there, I finished my dala-horse.  Being particular, I brought my own sable brushes so I could paint smaller lines.  It's looking good and gave me time to have conversations with others.

The Swedes often look at my nametag and begin speaking in Swedish.  I smile and just say English please.  Work tomorrow is in the afternoon and should give me time to go to the World Village about 3/4 mile from my area.  That's where most activities are.

Tomorrow should have less rain so I plan to venture into Kristianstad.  There is bus service on the half hour starting at 8 AM and ending at 4:30 PM.  I was told we had thirteen centimeters of rain yesterday.  Doing the math, that's over 5 inches.  The rest of the week is to be sunny which will allow me to dry out some things.  Very glad I bought that expensive rain jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment